Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Even If You Don't Fit In, You Can Still Live Your Dream

Sometimes Hollywood makes fun of dentists. Actually it seems to happen quite often. I can't think of the last time a year went by where I didn't see a dentist made fun of in a movie; worse than that, I can't think of the last time I saw a dentist featured as the hero of a movie. Somehow I don't ever see it happening; as a profession we make the butt of many really good jokes. At least it is not as bad for us as it is for politicians.



With that in mind, I revert back to my childhood days when network TV had America by the eyes and every channel had a Christmas Special that you absolutely couldn't miss. While there were many specials geared toward adults (Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Perry Como, Andy Williams, et. al.) some were directly targeted at a "little kid" audience. As a kid of 4 or so, they were point directly at me! I can recall the first time I saw "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer," which debuted in 1964. It was a fascinating animated story that completely captivated me. The story gets you cheering for the underdog, which in this case, is a reindeer who befriends a rejected elf, who wants to be a dentist, and a miner who looks for precious metals at the North Pole. These societal outcasts band up to face their life challenges, then end up separating to face them alone, all along the way they meet others who, likewise, just don't fit in.


While I didn't realize it at the time, or maybe it was a brain washing, the seeds of my career were being subliminally planted, and while I have never taken teeth out of an abominable snowman, I somehow related to the character Hermey, and still somewhat relate to him today. Even though he is 1/10 my size, towheaded, pointy eared, mostly nasal-ish, seems to like the very cold,  Santa elf I still like him; he has a heart of gold, he has a dream, and he sticks with it.


So, at this time of the year I give you my salute to Hermey. Thanks for not fitting in, and being a little bit of an inspiration to all us dentists.



No comments:

Post a Comment